Dentures and Your Dinner- How to Eat with Confidence
Eating isn’t just necessary for good health; it’s also an enjoyable part of daily life that’s tied to our social structure. According to surveys, half of all female participants would be less worried about getting either full or partial dentures if they were certain they could eat their favorite foods. Tooth loss can force you to give up many of the foods you love, such as corn on the cob and fresh apples, but once you’ve found your affordable quality dentures, it’s time to reclaim your favorite menu items. Learning to eat with new dentures can be challenging, but don’t worry. The following tips will help make the transition easier.
Tips for Eating with Dentures
- When you first start eating with dentures, stick to soft foods like cooked vegetables, eggs, fish, and ground meats.
- Eat smaller portions and cut foods into smaller pieces.
- Once you gain confidence, add chewier or crisper foods gradually.
- Make a habit of chewing half of the food in your mouth in the back-left side and the rest on the back-right side; this distributes the pressure more evenly on your dentures.
- If food seems to have less flavor, don’t worry; this is temporary. Your sense of taste will improve as you get accustomed to your dentures. While you’re adjusting, try adding herbs and spices to enhance flavor.
Try a Denture Adhesive
Even the best dentures may need a little help from dental care products. Unless you have permanent dentures attached to implants, you may be concerned about the risk of your new teeth slipping or falling out while you’re eating. Denture adhesives can help to prevent these embarrassing problems. They keep your dentures in place, increase the force of your bite, and help protect your mouth from trapped food particles and bacteria, which can cause irritation and bad breath. Ask your dentist to recommend the best adhesive products for your dentures, and make mealtimes worry-free.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Mishawaka, call The Dental Center of Mishawaka today at (574) 285-0460 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mishawaka. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Mishawaka, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Mishawaka.