How to Beat and Treat Tooth Discoloration
Don’t let stained teeth stop you from feeling good about your smile. Learn what’s causing the darkness and how to regain the whiteness you want.
Take a Bite out of Stain Starters
When it comes to stopping tooth discoloration, start by looking in your kitchen. See, the foods and drinks you choose come in direct contact with teeth, so darker choices naturally tend to darken your pearly whites. If you’re hoping to avoid stained teeth, try to stay away from these foods and drinks:
- Red and white wine
- Cranberry, grape, and other dark juices
- Tomato sauce
- Soy sauce
Deal with the Discoloration of Teeth
Since many dark-colored foods and drinks contain important nutrients and have become a daily pleasure, you may not want to give them up. To reduce their staining potential, follow these trusted tips:
- Brush your teeth or rinse your mouth right after enjoying darker foods and drinks to reduce their staining potential.
- Sip darker drinks through a straw to keep the liquid from touching the front of your teeth.
- Brush, floss, and use a mouth rinse every day to fight the plaque that holds stains on teeth and leads to tooth discoloration.
- Get professional cleanings at least twice a year to remove built-up stains.
- Stay away from tobacco, which is a leading cause of the discoloration of teeth.
Ways to Whiten Stained Teeth
You don’t have to suffer with stains since there are many effective ways to have a whiter, brighter smile. Ask your dentist to recommend the right whitening treatment for you. The most popular options include:
- Professional tooth whitening by a dentist offers the most dramatic results in the shortest amount of time.
- Over-the-counter whitening products can lighten many stains, but may cause sensitivity and take longer than professional whitening.
- Whitening toothpastes and mouthwashes can help keep your teeth white and reduce future stains, but may also cause sensitivity.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Mishawaka, call The Dental Center of Mishawaka today at (574) 285-0460 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mishawaka. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Mishawaka, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Mishawaka.