Top Seven Reasons for Halitosis
If you have bad breath, you’re likely suffering from halitosis. Discover what causes this common condition and how to treat the trouble.
- Insufficient Oral Hygiene – A lack of daily brushing and flossing allows bacteria to build up on your teeth and turn into plaque. Over time, this can cause deep pockets in your gums where bacteria can hide and produce bad breath. Yet, good oral hygiene can help you avoid the issue.
- Forgotten Food – When food particles remain in your mouth, they breed bacteria, which causes a very bad odor. Also, certain pungent foods, such as garlic and onions, leave a lasting mark on your breath. But good oral hygiene allows you to remove those bits of food and avoid the bad breath they cause.
- Oral Infections – Did you know that bad breath can be caused by surgical wounds after oral surgery? These wounds can attract bacteria, which leads to halitosis. If you have any lingering wounds after an oral procedure, see an affordable dentist right away to help you heal the injuries.
- Dry Mouth – If you don’t naturally produce enough saliva, your mouth becomes very dry. This condition is called dry mouth. Saliva is important because it rinses away bacteria and food lingering in your mouth. If you don’t produce enough saliva, these particles remain and lead to halitosis. This is a common condition known as dry mouth.
- Medications – Some medications can result in bad breath by contributing to dry mouth. Be sure to discuss your medications with an affordable dentist to see if they’re affecting your breath.
- Certain Medical Conditions – There are some diseases that produce chemicals that cause bad breath, such as certain cancers, metabolic disorders and even chronic acid reflux. And severe nasal and throat infections can also lead to halitosis. Ask a family dentistry expert if your medial situation may be harming your breath.
- Tobacco Use – Tobacco produces a very strong odor, as well as increases your risk of gum disease and other medical conditions that can leave your breath very bad. If you smoke or use tobacco, you need to stop to save both your breath and your health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Mishawaka, call The Dental Center of Mishawaka today at (574) 285-0460 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mishawaka. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Mishawaka, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Mishawaka.