Understanding the Role of Oral Surgeons
When your dental problems fall outside of your general dentist’s scope, you may need oral surgery. Dental surgeries encompass a variety of procedures from simple tooth extractions to implant placements. Many can be performed on an outpatient basis. While some require hospital admission and general anesthesia, many can take place in an office setting with the use of local anesthesia or mild sedation. Oral surgeons are specialists who perform these dental surgeries. Dental surgeons can also treat oral cancers, sleep apnea, and many other problems involving the teeth, face, mouth, and jaw.
What Your Oral Surgeon Does
The following are some of the most common procedures performed by dental surgeons.
- Dental implant surgery is an involved process that occurs in stages and can take many months to complete. Implants replace missing teeth with natural-looking artificial ones. The specific details of the process vary based on the type of implants used and the condition of your jawbone.
- Surgical removal of impacted teeth is necessary when teeth cannot emerge from inside the jaw or gum tissue on their own. Wisdom tooth impaction is extremely common.
- Cosmetic dental surgical procedures enhance the look of your smile. Examples of cosmetic procedures include the placement of implants, dental veneers and crowns. Crown lengthening and some types of gum surgery are also forms of cosmetic dentistry performed by an oral surgeon.
- Corrective jaw surgery can resolve problems with your temporomandibular joint (TMJ), correct your bite, and improve the fit of your dentures.
- Correction of facial deformities such as cleft palate or lip, and treatment of injuries to the face, mouth, or jaws are also specialties of the oral surgeon.
Dental Surgery: What to Expect
Before your surgery, your oral surgeon will explain what is involved, and help you prepare. Points to discuss include the type of anesthesia that will be used, wound care, dental hygiene, diet, and activity restrictions. During your recovery, you may experience some discomfort or pain, swelling of the face or gums, minor bleeding and jaw stiffness. If the symptoms get worse or persist longer than expected, contact your oral surgeon for advice. Follow all post-operative instructions for the best results.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Mishawaka, call The Dental Center of Mishawaka today at (574) 285-0460 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mishawaka. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Mishawaka, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Mishawaka.