Tips for Preventing Cavities in Children
Frequent trips to the dentist can be stressful for your kids, and they can put a strain on your budget, too. Child tooth decay is a serious problem that can be avoided by maintaining a good dental care routine. Preventing cavities in children begins with forming healthy habits early in life, so they become second nature. Just like a wholesome diet, good oral hygiene is an essential part of teaching kids how to take care of their health. The American Dental Association (ADA) offers the following great suggestions for preventing dental cavities in children.
Cavity-Prevention Tips for Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
- After feeding, clean your baby’s gums with a moistened gauze pad.
- When teeth first appear, use a child’s soft toothbrush and plain water to clean them.
- Supervise your children until they can brush without swallowing toothpaste.
- Use only a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily when teeth grow close enough to touch each other.
- Begin dental check-ups at one year of age.
Preventing Cavities in Older Children and Adolescents
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day and help them floss until they are six or seven years old; at this age, begin to teach them to brush their own teeth. You may need to supervise them until they are about 10 years old.
- Teach your older children about the dangers of poor food and beverage choices, oral piercings, and tobacco use.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants; these are plastic coatings that are applied in areas where tooth decay commonly starts.
- Remind your kids and adolescents of the importance of good oral hygiene.
- Purchase a mouth guard for kids involved in sports.
- Make regular visits to your dentist in Mishawaka to make sure that your child’s oral hygiene routine is effective.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Mishawaka, call The Dental Center of Mishawaka today at (574) 285-0460 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Mishawaka. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Mishawaka, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Mishawaka.